2012-03-28

Gusset on top toe-up socks

Today I finished my very first own design. I've been searching for a pattern that featured a gusset on top of the foot, but the only ones I could find were written top-down. Gagh! So I wrote my own.

The yarn I used was Dibadu Funnies Smooth Merino in the colourway "Letzte Rose". Gauge is something you should figure out for yourself. I used 2,5mm (US 1,5) dpns, but you can use whatever you're comfortable with.

Basically, I used common toe-up elements: Judy's Magic Cast-On, Wedge Toe, stockinette on the foot, slip stitch heel, 2/2 ribbing on the leg and Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Cast-Off. Instructions for all of these techniques can be found elsewhere, so I won't bother describing them here.

The interesting part is the gusset on top of the foot. Basically it is like the 'normal' gusset: you start at the same length and you work the same amount of increases every other round. If you have knit socks before, you know the numbers, if not look them up! There are enough tables and charts around.

So here's the gusset:
Let's assume, that the beginning of the round is on the left side of the sock; the first stitch of the round would be the first stitch of the instep stitches. Place a marker in the very center of the instep. You can remove that marker after the gusset is finished.

Now we need a couple of parameters:
x = number of stitches used in the 'normal' rounds on the foot and leg
g = number of increases for the gusset
v = number of stitches between each increase and the marker; this number gets bigger with every increase; the starting value is x/4 -g; the bigger the starting value, the blunter the tip of the gusset

The numbers I used were x = 68, g = 14 and the starting value of v = 3 because I know that these numbers fit my feet. Adjust these numbers to your gauge or look them up in a table somewhere.

Round 1: Knit g stitches, make 1, knit v to marker, slip marker, knit v, make 1, knit g. Knit the sole stitches.
Round 2: Knit all of the stitches.

Repeat these two rounds until v = x/4 -1 (in my case 16) and you're done with the gusset.

A note about the pattern between the increases: 
I wrote instructions for plain stockinette. In the picture you can see, that I knit a 2/2 ribbing.  You can of course do whatever you want. To make the increases as invisible as possible, do a lifted increase and adjust it to your pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment